Thursday, December 22, 2016

Showing Signs of Christmas

Showing Signs of Christmas
Guest Blog by student and volunteer Catherine Meyer

The holidays are a special, joyous time of year. However, the hustle and bustle of the holidays and end of year planning can distract from the true meaning of Christmas. As a college student, I understand how hard it can be to get side-tracked by the stress of life, work, and school. I find myself concerned with only tasks that I need to do, this year especially. On a recent trip to JC Penney to help my dad buy some gifts for the family, there was a kind-hearted lady ringing a bell for the Salvation Army, the red metal tin sat still and stagnant next to her.  It was at that moment that something jolted me and I realized I had failed to acknowledge the true meaning of this holiday season. After depositing money in her pail, a new attitude was awakened in me,  I now found the time to donate toys for the local Toys for Tots drive.  A man sitting on the street shivering was given a blanket. I smiled at people, held doors open. With each act, my heart grew a little warmer and my soul felt lighter and brighter than it has in a long time. I realized how important kindness, care, and compassion were to all human beings. We are in fact, all the same, regardless of our skin color, beliefs, income, or abilities. Wouldn’t it be great to show signs of Christmas to those around us… all year long?!

About the Blogger: Besides volunteering for GraceSigns, Catherine Meyer is a transfer student at Sonoma State University pursuing her BS in Computer Science. She has been enthusiastic about sign language since she was 13 years old.  She currently enjoys signing songs with a group called SoundWaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment